Monday, February 28, 2011

Up To Jerusalem

Notre Dame, pictured above, is a guest house for pilgrims.  It received its first pilgrims in l888.  The 25 Israeli Tripster pilgrims checked in this afternoon.  It is a magnificent building across the street from one of the gates into the Old City of Jerusalem.

As we traveled today from Galilee "Up to Jerusalem", I found myself thinking of the 121st Psalm.
That Psalm of Ascent would have been sung by pilgrims in biblical times as they made their way up the Judean hills into the city.  "I lift up my eyes to the hills from where will my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved, he who keeps you will not slumber.  He who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep..." That is the God who goes with us.

 A number of us made our way to the Western Wall tonight - Holy place of prayer 24/7 - it draws me like a magnet when I am here.  Walking back to Notre Dame, an Israeli man stopped us to ask where we were from. In the course of conversation he explained that he had attended college in the states on a scholarship, but came home to the surprise of his friends.  He touched the wall by which he stood and said with real passion, "I had to come home. There is just something in these walls".   It is true.  The walls have seen so much history-so much conflict and too little peace.  They have deep meaning and they have remarkable stories to tell.  We are eager pilgrims ready to listen, as we begin our 5 fascinating days in this Holy City.

The Western Wall and Dome of the Rock on our first evening walk.
Blessings,
Mary Hulst